An overview of Linux
- Linux is a kernel, basically the intermediary between hardware and software.
- When you take the kernel and a collection of software you've now got the operating system or rather a Linux Distribution.
- There exist several forms of Linux distributions and you can make your own too!
- Each of these distributions share many characteristics and functionality but may choose to do things slightly differently in terms of the software, commands, and features they support.
- Some distributions have GUIs (graphical user interfaces) that you can control with your mouse and keyboard while others are CLI based (command line interface) where you need to type commands for everything.